My partner and I decided that we would go as Little Finger and Sansa Stark from Game of Thrones (Pinterest here), as the relationship is creepy and the costumes interesting. When I told my sister, she immediately decided that she would be Sansa's sister Arya Stark. Note that she makes a great Arya with a simple trip to Value Village, a borrowed sword and some attitude. Her friend is also an adorable version of Jon Snow next to her. There is a lesson in this. Time spent does not equal impact. It was a learning experience though. One that ended at 7:30pm before the party with both my serger broken and the footpedal on my sewing machine no longer working.
Things that happened:
- I found the waistband of the underskirt was shorter than the waist measurement so I just drew an A line skirt onto the chiffon and cut out two pieces and then inserted an elastic waistband for ease and comfort.
- I used my serger to do a rolled hem. I found that it was only possible when using tissue paper to stabilize the hem and then tearing it away afterwards.
- I made a long scarf out of the leftover chiffon. This was two strips that I attached with a french seam and then did the longest rolled hem ever. I went through a lot of tissue paper.
- I added seam allowances to the inside of the princess seams because it seemed like they were missing. I never thought I would use a compass again but I guess here we are. Very useful for adding seam allowances of a specific width to a pattern.
- I lined this dress using the same pattern pieces minus the sleeves with a periwinkle lining.
- I should have added some twill tape to stabilize the neckline to prevent gaping but I felt too tired at that point to seam rip the lining and redo it.
- I hand sewed clasps to the waist.
- I machine sewed the hems of the dress and the lining even though it looked kind of crappy because I didn't have the patience to do them by hand.
- I ordered a dragonfly necklace from Etsy which I will probably just wear casually.
- I ordered a wig from Arda Wigs as I couldn't find one locally and then spent hours sewing in extra wefts, combing it and then styling it and wondering if I had truly crossed a line into madness.
Things that happened.
- I removed the two side pleats from the back and only left the middle pleat from the pattern before cutting based on this youtube video.
- I extended the collar to be wider with a random guess as I didn't have a muslin to actually measure.
- I extended the lining so that it was full length to avoid finishing the seams inside. I also thought this would mean you could see it swooshing at the bottom but the robe overlaps and that does not happen.
- I ordered a littlefinger pin on Etsy which was probably insane but less insane than the wig.
- I made a last minute pouch that has no seams finished so will likely fray and fall apart tomorrow.
- I skipped putting snaps in and relied on the pin and the belt to hold things together which they did.
- The sleeves were short and the cuffs were weirdly long so they were folded so they are now half the size and extend the length of the sleeve.
- I sewed the sleeves in 5 minutes without looking at lining up notches or easing things in (at this point my foot pedal was broken) and so one of them is in sideways.
Just need to look back on this post next Hallowe'en when I get some big ideas and remember how crazy I felt.